Monday, June 29, 2009

T-3 days?

Hi all,

First off, Muyambi, please don't kill me for not writing sooner! I wish I had a good reason but I've just been running around trying to tie all those loose ends before I leave. That's right, I basically leave in 3 days because Colin, Erika, Alyson, John and I all leave from DC on the 5th!!!! So I'm going to spend a long weekend with my friends in DC and then hop right on the plane. It is absolutely crazy that the time has come when all the planning becomes a reality. The BAP project always seemed like an adventure in the distant future, but to all of our surprise, its finally here! I have to say for the past few weeks I've been worrying a bit about all the possible dangers, things that could go wrong. My mom is starting to freak out a bit, she keeps saying she can't make another one of me haha. Actually her whole family is a little nervous for us because many many years ago her dad was in Uganda when Idi Amin was in power. My grandpa was taking pictures of a dung hut and all of the sudden was bombarded by gunman and arrested. Turns out that under the dung hut was actually a secret military base. My grandma had to travel all the way to Uganda just to get my grandpa out. So I guess they all have some reason to worry. However the more I think about the trip, the more I think about Abhay's comment at that meeting we had when we discussed our parent's concerns. Abhay, if you remember, you said you explained to your mom that if we want things to change, we can't wait for someone else to do it. Abhay, I think you were exactly right. Going to Gulu is a risk but it’s one that we need to take in order to make a change. So after all that thinking, worrying, and planning, I am ready and bursting with excitement!

Can't wait to see you all soon!
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Well, i can only pray that nothing goes wrong..besides i will do my best so that you dont make the mistake your grandpa made, i am sure we can learn from him.

    ReplyDelete